About the Authors
- Yuji Kashiwakura, Jun Mimuro, Seiji Madoiwa, Akira Ishiwata, Atsushi Yasumoto, Asuka Sakata, Tsukasa Ohmori, Yoichi Sakata
- Research Division of Cell and Molecular Medicine, Center for Molecular Medicine, Jichi Medical University, Shimotsuke, Tochigi-ken, Japan
- Akira Onishi, Masaki Iwamoto, Daiichiro Fuchimoto, Shunichi Suzuki, Misae Suzuki, Shoichiro Sembon
- Transgenic Animal Research Center, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Tsukuba, Ibaraki-ken, Japan
- Masaki Iwamoto, Michiko Hashimoto, Satoko Yazaki
- Advanced Technology Development Team, Prime Tech Ltd., Tsuchiura, Ibaraki-ken, Japan
MI, MH, and SY are employees of Prim Tech Ltd., the developer of Piezo micromanipulators for nuclear transfer, and are collaborative with National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences and Jichi Meidical University for basic research. Other authors declare no conflict of interest. This does not alter the authors adherence to all the PLOS ONE policies on sharing data and materials.
Wrote the paper: JM. Senior investigator and supervised this study: YS. Acted as a senior investigator, planned, generated constructs for F8 gene targeting, and conducted the study: JM. Postdoctoral fellow, conducted most of the F8 targeting work and injected human FVIII into a cloned piglet: YK. Performed nuclear transfer of targeted cells to oocytes and transplantation of the oocytes, and managed care of cloned pigs: AO MI. Injected human FVIII into a cloned piglet on day 1 after birth: SM. Cared for cloned piglets and did pathological examination of cloned piglets: DF SS MS SS MH SY. Performed cell culture experiments: AI AY AS TO.