About the Authors
- Pasquale Caponnetto, Davide Campagna, Cristina Russo, Riccardo Polosa
- Centro per la Prevenzione e Cura del Tabagismo, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria “Policlinico-V. Emanuele”, Università di Catania, Catania, Italy
- Pasquale Caponnetto, Davide Campagna, Massimo Caruso, Cristina Russo, Riccardo Polosa
- Institute of Internal Medicine, S. Marta Hospital, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria “Policlinico-V. Emanuele”, Università di Catania, Catania, Italy
- Fabio Cibella
- National Research Council of Italy, Institute of Biomedicine and Molecular Immunology, Palermo, Italy
- Jaymin B. Morjaria
- Division of Cardiovascular and Respiratory Studies, Hull York Medical School, University of Hull, Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham, United Kingdom
RP has received lecture fees and research funding from Pfizer and GlaxoSmithKline, manufacturers of stop smoking medications. He has served as a consultant for Pfizer and Arbi Group Srl, the distributor of the Categoria™ e-Cigarette. The other authors have no relevant conflict of interest to declare in relation to this work. This does not alter the authors’ adherence to all the PLOS ONE policies on sharing data and materials.
Conceived and designed the experiments: RP. Performed the experiments: RP PC DC. Analyzed the data: FC RP PC CR JM. Contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools: MC. Wrote the paper: PC RP CR FC JM. Subjects recruiting: DC.