About the Authors
- Stefan Röpcke, Gereon Lauer, Gezim Lahu, Martin Elmlinger
- Department of Biomarker Development, Nycomed GmbH, Konstanz, Germany
- Olaf Holz, Meike Müller, Norbert Krug, Jens M. Hohlfeld
- Department of Clinical Airway Research, Fraunhofer Institute for Toxicology and Experimental Medicine (ITEM), Hannover, Germany
- Olaf Holz, Norbert Krug, Jens M. Hohlfeld
- Biomedical Research in Endstage and Obstructive Lung Disease Hannover (BREATH), Member of the German Center for Lung Research, Hannover, Germany
- Susanne Rittinghausen
- Department of Toxicology and Environmental Hygiene, Fraunhofer Institute for Toxicology and Experimental Medicine (ITEM), Hannover, Germany
- Peter Ernst
- GeneData AG, Basel, Switzerland
The study was performed at Fraunhofer ITEM in Hannover. Fraunhofer ITEM has received a grant from Nycomed GmbH for performing the study. The samples obtained from the subjects in this study were partly analysed at Fraunhofer ITEM, partly by Nycomed GmbH. The data analysis was performed by Dr P Ernst, Genedata AG, Dr S Roepcke, Dr G Lauer from Nycomed as well as by Dr O Holz and JM Hohlfeld from Fraunhofer ITEM. N.Krug, JM. Hohlfeld and O. Holz are employed at Fraunhofer ITEM and in addition participate in the Group of “Biomedical Research in Endstage and Obstructive Lung Disease Hannover (BREATH), which is a member of the German Center for Lung Research. All authors of this manuscript declare not to have a competing interest with respect to the results of this study. Neither the cooperation and involvement in performing this study by Fraunhofer ITEM, Nycomed GmbH and Genedata AG, nor the participation in the German Center of Lung Research alters the adherence to all the PLOS ONE policies on sharing data and materials. Nycomed, Genedata and the Fraunhofer ITEM (this includes those authors of Fraunhofer ITEM) who additionally participate in the German center of lung research) are fully aware of and agree to the publishing policies of PlOS ONE.
Conceived and designed the experiments: JMH NK G. Lauer S. Roepcke MM ME. Performed the experiments: MM S. Rittinghausen NK JMH. Analyzed the data: OH S. Roepcke MM S. Rittinghausen PE G. Lauer. Contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools: PE. Wrote the paper: OH S. Roepcke G. Lauer JMH G. Lahu.