About the Authors
- Axel J. Schmidt, Matthias An der Heiden, Doris Radun
- Department for Infectious Diseases Epidemiology, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
- Jürgen K. Rockstroh, Martin Vogel
- Medical Clinic I, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
- Armin Baillot
- Governmental Institute of Public Health of Lower Saxony, Hannover, Germany
- Ivanka Krznaric
- Medical Practice, Driesener Strasse, Berlin, Germany
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist, neither financial nor non-financial. Neither the German MOH, nor any pharmaceutical company had a role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript. The lecture fees and congress travel grants as disclosed by M.V. and J.K.R. have no connection to this case-control-study on sexual, nosocomial, and other non-sexual determinants. This does not alter the authors' adherence to all the PLoS ONE policies on sharing data and materials.
Analyzed the data: AJS. Wrote the paper: AJS. Study design: AJS DR MV IK. Questionnaire: AJS DR. Clinical supervision: JKR. Recruitment of participants: MV IK. Statistical supervision: MadH DR. Antibody testing from DBS: AB.