About the Authors
- Sara J. Whitehead, Supaporn Chaikummao, Philip A. Mock, Taweesap Siraprapasiri
- Thailand Ministry of Public Health–U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Collaboration, Nonthaburi, Thailand
- Catherine McLean, Peter H. Kilmarx, Lauri E. Markowitz
- National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
- Sarah Braunstein, Janneke H. van de Wijgert, Barbara A. Friedland
- Population Council, New York, New York, United States of America
- Wat Utaivoravit
- Chiang Rai Hospital, Chiang Rai, Thailand
- Janneke H. van de Wijgert
- Academic Medical Center of the University of Amsterdam and Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
None of the authors have a commercial association with Carraguard or other conflicts of interest. Carraguard® is being developed by the Population Council, which is a not-for-profit nongovernmental organization, under a U.S. Food and Drug Administration Investigational New Drug Application (IND 58,441).
Conceived and designed the experiments: JvdW CAM BF PHK LEM. Performed the experiments: CAM SC. Analyzed the data: SJW PAM. Wrote the manuscript: SJW. Contributed to study monitoring and implementation: JvdW. Supervised field staff: SJW SC. Developed Standard Operating Procedures, monitored trial conduct, contributed to analysis of acceptability data: SB. Coordinated field site support and referral: WU. Coordinated field staff supervision and implementation: TS. Supported implementation of the study: BF. Supervised implementation of the study: PHK LEM.