About the Authors
- John R. Fieberg, David L. Garshelis
- Department of Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, Minnesota, United States of America
- John R. Fieberg
- Biometrics Unit, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Forest Lake, Minnesota, United States of America
- Kyle W. Shertzer, Paul B. Conn
- Southeast Fisheries Science Center, National Marine Fisheries Service, Beaufort, North Carolina, United States of America
- Karen V. Noyce, David L. Garshelis
- Forest Wildlife Populations and Research Group, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Grand Rapids, Minnesota, United States of America
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
Analyzed the data: JRF. Wrote the paper: JRF KWS PBC KVN DLG. Wrote ADMB code for fitting the models: JRF KWS. Conducted the simulation study: JRF. Contributed to the design of the simulation study: JRF KWS PBC KVN DLG. Contributed to the formulation of the ADMB estimation models: JRF KWS PBC KVN DLG. Responsible for collecting all of the MN black bear data: KVN DLG.